Eyes or lids dry, red or irritated?
Your makeup or other products you use around your eyes could be the culprit. I had issues with red irritated eyes and have changed my makeup products and cleansers and this has make a big difference.
Here are some general guidelines in regards to this common problem.
- Never to go bed with makeup on and avoid eye makeup remover with alcohol in it. . Makeup attracts more bacteria on the lids which can lead to infections and styes. I recommend We Love Eyes makeup remover. It is made from tea tree oil, grape seed oil and jojoba oil.
- Do not apply eyeliner on the lid margin. This is where the oil glands release the oil. Eye make up can clog these glands. If you choose to wear eyeliner, apply below the lower lash line on the lower lids and above the lash line on the upper lids.
- Avoid waterproof mascara.
- Be careful when things say “natural” ingredients or “hypoallergenic”. It doesn’t mean the ingredients might not be potentially harmful. Buy from companies who are committed to producing products with less harmful ingredients such as Beauty Counter.
- Avoid these harmful ingredients: sodium laureth sulfates, phenoxyethanol, Retin-A, BAK, formaldehyde, DMDM-hydantoin, quaternium-15, imidazolidnyl urea, diazolidinyl urea, bromo-w-nitropropane-1-3-diol, and parabens.
- Be aware that procedures such as botox can cause the eye muscles to not function appropriately causing an incomplete blink and dry eye.
- Avoid tattooed eyeliner. It can damage oil producing glands in the eyelids.
- Avoid lash extensions. The ingredients in the glue can be harmful. They also create an abnormally open eye for more debris to get into. Also, lash boost serums can be irritating to the eyes.
- Tell your eye doctor about any medications and supplements you are taking as they may have ocular side effects.
There are, of course, many other causes to dry, red and irritated eyes. Come see us at Lakes Area Eyecare for all your eye related needs. Schedule your appointment today!
Don’t forget to Follow us on Facebook to keep up to date with what’s happening at our office!